Metra Station Improvement
Work for the pedestrian crossing will be continuing. Due to equipment staging, the six hour parking lot will only be accessible from High Road. Pedestrians are asked to follow the posted detours between the platform and the parking lot. Please allow extra time to reach the inbound platform during this time.
In partnership with Metra, the Village is seeking to improve the existing facilities at the commuter rail station located in downtown Cary. The Village has assumed the role of lead agency for the design phase and Metra will lead the construction phase. Metra has already secured a $2 million federal grant that would be used towards the construction of the improvements, with the understanding that costs beyond this grant amount would be covered by the Village.
The 2018/2019 improvements at the Metra Station include:
- Fiber optic utility relocation (MCI/Verizon) - COMPLETE
- Fiber Optic Utility Relocation (AT&T) - BEGINS 7/9/18
- New pedestrian gates/signals at the northwest end of the platform - SCHEDULE TO BE DETERMINED
- New accessible ramp (replacing existing stairs) at the northwest end of the platform - BEGINS 7/9/18
- New depot building with ticket agent office along the inbound platform - BEGINS 7/9/18
- New enclosed secondary warming shelter along inbound platform - BEGINS 7/9/18
- Replacement of the inbound platform structure - SCHEDULE TO BE DETERMINED
Metra is leading the construction phase with work anticipated to begin in 2018 following the completion of fiber optic utility relocations and installation of a new pedestrian ramp at the northwest end of the platform.
Construction of the new station improvements will require temporary pedestrian detours for commuters at certain times. Signage and maps posted on this website will be utilized to help navigate commuters during the construction.
- 07/18/18 - The pedestrian crossing has been closed for construction. Beginning Monday, July 23rd, the six hour parking lot will only be accessible from High Rd due to equipment staging. Please continue to follow posted detour and allow for extra time to reach the platform.
- 06/29/18 - Beginning Monday 7/9/18, the west stairway between the north commuter parking lot and the Metra platform is TENTATIVELY scheduled to be closed for construction. Please follow the posted detour and allow for extra time to reach the platform. Work on the underground utility installations for the new depot building project is also anticipated to begin Monday 7/9/18. The "Kiss-n-Ride" parking spaces will be temporarily relocated to the opposite side of the driveway aisle adjacent to the existing depot building during this time.
- 06/06/18 - Fiber optic work began and was completed June 8.
- 05/30/18 - The first of two fiber optic relocation projects will begin June 6. Access to the platform for commuters will not be disrupted during this work.
- 05/23/18 - Metra issued the Notice to Proceed to the station building contractor. A pre-construction meeting is being coordinated to determine the construction schedule (targeting late summer).
- 05/01/18 - Village Board of Trustees approved the bid award for the pedestrian ramp to Copenhaver Construction. Targeting early summer construction and completion in August.
- 04/18/18 - Metra's Board of Directors approved the bid for the construction of the new commuter station facility, with Accel Construction Services Group.
- 04/11/18 - Village Board of Trustees approved the Village of Cary's contribution to the Metra contract for the construction of the new commuter station facility and an intergovernmental agreement between Metra and the Village.